Leliana Vess, Defier of Demons

Leliana Vess, Defier of Demons
Black Magic shall rule over all

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Things keep on rollin', rollin', rollin'...

In games I haven’t really been playing anything because like I said, I’ve been trying to save money due to bills, plus I have a large amount of games that need to get played.

In these games I’ve basically been playing a lot of Raiden 4, and Persona 3 portable, which is still a great psp game.

In anime, I’ve managed to completely catch up with the releases of High School of the Dead. The first two episodes of the series really didn’t leave their mark on me at all, mostly because I grew to hate some of the characters. Like I’ve said before, if I start to hate the characters in an anime, the anime itself won’t leave much of an effect on me. However, I’m glad I decided to stay with the anime. The next few episodes got about ten times better than what the first few episodes were showing. The series has come to be another one of the anime that everyone who watches anime will be watching, but at the very least this one seems to be worthy of all the attention and hype.

One of the funniest things about this anime is the quality of the voice actors in this series. Komuro’s voice actor, Suwabe Jun’Ichi, also happens to do the voices for Claw in Street Fighter 4, Grimmjow in Bleach, Relius Clover in Blazblue, Lars Alexanderson in Tekken 6, and finally Archer in Fate/Stay Night, not to mention Seymour Guado in Final Fantasy X. The voice actor for Saeko, Sawashiro Miyuki, also did the voice acting for Cammy in Street Fighter 4, Carl Clover in Blazblue, Elizabeth and Chidori in Persona 3, Weiss in Arcana Hearts 3, Momohime in Muramasa, Velvet in Odin Sphere, and Perrine in Strike Witches. She also happens to be one of the few voice actors who voiced a character in their Japanese and English adaptions, because Sawashiro-kun also happens to speak fluent English. Rei’s voice actor, Inoue Marina, also happens to have voiced Chiri Kitsu in Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Tsukiumi in Sekirei, the Female Protagonist in Persona 3, Petra in Arcana Heart 2, and Kohaku Hearts in Tales of Hearts, as well as Alicia in Valkria Chronicles. Then you have Kohta’s voice actor, Hiyama Nobuyuki, considered to be one of the most prolific voice actors in the history of anime. He’s done voices for Hiei in YuYuHakusho, Marik Ishtar in Yu-Gi-Oh!, Joe Higashi in various SNK games, Batsu in Justice Gakuen, Demitri Maximoff in almost every game the character has been in, Nightmare/Siegfried in the Soul Calibur series, Wilhelm in Xenosaga, and even Angel Salazar in the Japanese dub of Scarface. As though that wasn’t enough, you then have Kitamura Eri, the voice actor for Saya, who also did voices for Saya in Blood+, Kokonoe Rin in Kodomo no Jikan, Kakoen Myousai in Ikki Tousen, Rimi in Chaos Head, Kureha in Sora no Wato, Kawashima Ami in Toradora, and Juri in Street Fighter 4. Then of course, you have the voice actor for adorable little Maresato-chan, who was voiced by Taketatsu Ayana, who voiced our equally adorable Azunyan. I mean, seriously, the voice actors in this anime are some top-notch talent considering this anime had very little hype and the manga wasn’t all that popular outside of the US (at least to my reckoning). Not to mention that the art for the series is amazingly great. You can tell the creators really put a lot of feeling and money into making the anime as great as they possibly could.

One thing Joe was speaking to me about is what the series is going to do once the first season concludes. The manga of the series is at this point on yet another hiatus. The manga was put on hold for almost the whole of last year because the creator decided to take a break. My theory is that it was a combination of the creator not being used to writing a serial publication (he’s only done doujins in the past, and this is his first) and working on the anime, which was probably kept hush-hush to surprise everyone. At this point though, I don’t think the creator is going to have any time to continue writing the manga now that he has the anime to finish. This means either two things. One: the anime will end with season 1 and will continue in about a year or two while the creator continues or finishes the manga. Or two: they will continue the anime with a second season and will create filler while the manga catches up, going on their completely own story arc. Joe is banking on the second option, because I’m pretty sure he doesn’t care; he just wants the anime to continue so he can keep watching it. I actually hope that they use the first option. I have seen way too many animes get butchered when they try the same option, like Naruto, Bleach, Ikki Tousen.

On top of that, I’ve also been watching the Japanese versions of Sailormoon. Like many of the people who grew up in my generation, Sailormoon was one of the animes that got me into anime in the first place. I remember back when I was around 8 years old, I would wake up at around 6 in the morning (normal for me now, as early as pitch-black night for me back then) just so that I could watch Sailormoon and DragonBall Z before I had to go to school. Both animes were unlike anything I had ever seen before, in that they were cartoons with storylines, personalities, agendas. In other words, a cartoon that wasn’t just dumb jokes over and over, made to hold the attention of little kids. Here was something I could really watch all the time. I remember back then I used to cry if I overslept and missed even one episode. I’m not even going to bother talking about the plot of the anime, because if you don’t know the plot of this anime or have never seen it before, you need to give up your anime nerd license right then and now. I will say though, that if you can, you should try to watch the anime in its original Japanese rather than the English dub. Like most people know, the English dub of the anime is extremely horrible, as was most anime translations from back then. Now I just need to try to get the third, fourth, and fifth animes to complete the series. Hopefully shouldn’t be too hard, considering how many people try to get this anime. If anything I can always buy the dvd’s off of Ebay.

Aside from those animes, I of course have been watching the newest episodes of K-on. Also, as I know people are addressing, the fact that episode 20 feels like the last episode of the series, continuity-wise. I got to say, that episode was sad. I gave the anime a huge amount of shit during the course of this blog. The second season itself started around the same time that I started writing this blog, so it feels like this entire I always talked about how bad it was yet I just couldn’t stop watching. Now that the series is actually over after all this time, I feel so sad that it’s ending. It’s almost like I didn’t know what I had until it was gone. More than anything, what made me depressed was the ending. Just seeing them all crying when the realization that high school was almost over hit them, made me remember when my high school days were over. I really think I was the only one in my entire year who nearly cried from thinking that high school was over. High school was really one of the best times of my life, because it was there I had found my best friends, friends that I still hang out with to this day. I guess I almost cried because I was a little scared at the thought I wouldn’t be able to see them every day like before. That time of your life is when you truly realize you’re not a child anymore; you’re an adult who’s going to have to make their own choices about what goes on with your life, and no one is going to take the blame but yourself. That whole realization just comes out as nothing short of depressing for anyone who’s just not that ready to go through that. It made it obvious just how much the girls really care for each other, breaking down when they thought that they weren’t going to be together anymore. At least now in episode 22 they passed their tests and are going to go to the same college. Got to admit, I would like to see a third season of the series. It’s going be very sad to think I’m not going to be able to keep watching the series, and that I’m not going to have a new episode of K-on to look forward to every week. All well, I’ll get over it; same way I got over Fate, Mai-Hime/Mai-Otome, Azumanga and GTO Live Action being over, I’ll get over this anime. I think personally if I could get over Lucky Star being done after all this time, I think I could get over anything.

Also planning on buying that new Hard Drive I talked about a while ago. At the moment between High School of the Dead, Sailor Moon and K-on, my current hard drive is getting to the point where I’m not going to be able to put any more things on it. Thinking about buying a Western Digitals My Book Essentials 1 Terabyte Hard Drive that I saw being sold locally. With a Hard Drive of that much space, I shouldn’t fill the drive up for quite a while. If I could find a cheap one somewhere, I would buy a 2 Terabyte drive, but those are still being sold for quite a large amount of money, and I don’t want this to drive to brake me in the bank department. If I made my 640 Gig Hard Drive last as long as it has, I think a Terabyte is going to run me just fine. What pisses me off is that I wouldn’t even need to do this if it wasn’t for my other drive breaking. I had another 640 gig hard drive that I was using, but one day the electric plug I had it connected to fell and pulled the hard drive down with it, sending it crashing on the floor. Judging by how it was performing and the noises it was making in the drive, my diagnosis is that the pin which reads off of the hard drive broke and fell off, making the hard drive unreadable. Worst part is that I still had about 500 gigs left on it. I’m pretty sure the drive is going to be useless at this point, but a friend of mine is trying to fix it for me. I’m going to buy this new one in the meanwhile because I need it, but if he gets it working, I’m going to look into seeing if I would be able to use it for my ps3. I bought the 120 gig ps3 slim, and the hard drive on that went extremely fast. I have like only 30 games plus some movies and music installed on it, but I’m down to about 30 gigs left. Installing games onto the drive takes off whole chunks of it. I don’t how people with 30 gig ps3’s survive on just that. I don’t mean people who buy the 30 gig then upgrade the drive btw; I mean people who don’t switch the drive out. I don’t think I would be able to do that myself personally. The way I see it, with installing games, the price, and switching between them, I think the PS3 limits what you can do with your game collection. It’s almost necessary to upgrade your HD from the default one Sony gives, because installing games, unlike with the Xbox 360, is just about necessary for every game Sony releases. This means that if you run out of drive space, you’re going to need to spend a couple hundred dollars to replace your HD, then transfer all your data. This also means you’re going to need to carry another HD just to back up your data for when you do the transfer. That’s a lot of stuff for me to have to get. Oh well, a local shop does this for a fee, so I might have them do it for me instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment